Aquatic Habitat Echosounder
Learn the Basics
The BioSonics MX Aquatic Habitat Echosounder is a one-of-a-kind system for identifying and assessing aquatic habitat features. The MX is a complete hardware/software solution, packaged with unique processing and data visualization software, Visual Habitat MX, for classifying seafloor substrate and mapping submerged vegetation.
With integrated DGPS, scientific transducer, and a rugged weatherproof housing, the MX echosounder system provides a turn-key solution for rapid assessment of submersed plants and substrate classification. This easy-to-use system allows for quick identification of rock, sand, and mud while also assessing plant canopy height and percent coverage. Even novice users will quickly learn to collect and process data and create powerful imagery to visualize results using Visual Habitat Software mapping tools.
How It Works
Ease of use was a fundamental goal in the development of the MX Echosounder Habitat Mapping System. The MX echosounder system is compact, lightweight and includes an integrated DGPS sensor so all data is automatically geo-referenced. Users collect data on bathymetry, submersed plants, and substrate composition from any size vessel by following a predetermined transect plan. A laptop computer is used to control the MX echosounder and log data files. The 200 kHz single beam transducer connects quickly and easily to a threaded pole and the entire system can be installed and deployed in minutes.
With BioSonics Visual Habitat software, data processing has never been easier. Unique data visualization tools provide a map view of transects with color-coded data points. Click on a transect to view the corresponding echogram, toggle easily between map and data views, and zoom in to easily edit results. Users can process data and generate CSV files for mapping bottom classification and plant coverage in only a few minutes.
- Assessment of Submersed Aquatic Vegetation (SAV)
- Substrate Classification delineate sand, mud, rock
- Bathymetric Mapping
- Portable, weatherproof, and rugged with storage for cables and transducer
- Precision instrument, calibrated and highly accurate
- Complete with software for data acquisition, processing and visualization
- GENERATE MAPS INSTANTLY
- Integrated DGPS sensor to geo-reference data
- High resolution, full color echogram
- Transmit Power: 105 Watts RMS
- Input power: 12-18 VDC or 85-264 VAC
- Draw: 5 Watts Fuse: 3 amp
- Transmit source level: 213 dB re 1uPa
- Pulse length: 0.4ms
- Ping rate 5Hz
- Range resolution: 1.7cm
- Accuracy: 1.7cm +/- 0.2% of depth
- Depth range: 0-100m
- Operating conditions: 0-50° C
- DGPS positional accuracy: <3m, 95% typical
- DGPS velocity accuracy: 0.1 knot rms
- DGPS update rate: 1sec
- Echosounder Unit: 37cm x 26cm x 15cm (14.6" x 10.2"x 6"), Wt. 5.4 kg (12lbs)
- Transducer: 8.4cm L x 4.3cm diam (3.3"x1.7") 1.36 kg (3lb), Stem threads - NPS
- Single frequency 204.8 kHz
- Beam angle 8.5 degree conical
- Low side lobes to -18 dB
- Heavy duty stainless steel housing
- 1 x Ethernet (system control)
- 2 x RS232 (GPS in/out)
- 1 x BNC (external trigger)
Data Analysis Software Features
Visual Habitat - A complete analysis package that provides processing for:
- SAV canopy height, % cover, biomass
- Bathymetry produce highly accurate maps and depth charts
- Substrate classification delineate areas of rock, sand, mud
Export results as CSV or KML files
Quickly generate maps showing transect lines with bathymetry, bottom type, and vegetation presence
Back to Top
DownloadPost Processing and Data Visualization Software
for MX Aquatic Habitat Echosounder Systems.
Bathymetry, Submerged Aquatic Vegetation (SAV), and Bottom Typing.
Export to Excel or KML files for GIS mapping and sharing of results.
Visualize your results like never before and generate maps in seconds.
View synchronized echogram and map views.